Monday, May 19, 2014

Training!

My companion/greenie/daughter, Hermana Dominguez, and I with President and Hermana Collado on the day the new missionaries arrived. We put paint on our hands and then make hand prints on a banner that says "Somos las manos de Cristo," our mission theme. 

I just spent my first week as a trainer. I believe I mentioned in my last email that I would be receiving a new missionary and take a new role as a trainer. Monday night we had a training session, just the future trainers, with President Collado and other mission leaders. It was a spiritual treat, getting to sit down in a boardroom with one of the chosen stewards of God's kingdom in Central America and talk about how to build our testimonies and how to become the kind of people that God needs in his kingdom here and in all our lives. 

We had Pizza Hut for dinner and adjourned to the Sister Training Leaders' house, where we hung out, all the new trainers together, and then Tuesday morning we were given hours to study the materials we'd be using with our new companions. Boy was that a treat, just hours to study without having to focus on all the people who were worrying about us, or we were worrying about, or who were relying on us. I got a lot of personal inspiration there.

Tuesday afternoon we headed up to the President's house, where one by one, dramatically, we were introduced to our companions, and our companions were introduced to the mission theme and to just what it is to be in the best mission in the world. We had a few hours together as a group, discovered that there's an Elder who laughs weirder than I do (that'll be interesting in meetings), and then headed home to work.

And this week has been great. My companion and I just hit it off. We get along so great, even though I'm having to adapt to a Honduran accent after 7 months of Guatemalan companions, and she's having to adapt to the crazy, clumsy, goofy gringa who is way too tall and jokes too much and loves too many people. We have had so much fun, and we'll keep having a ton of fun out here. The members already love here, and we've already found so many special people, including a woman who accompanied us to church on Sunday and got so excited that she's bringing her whole family, sons, daughter-in-law, and grandkids, next week. And as I'm having to train someone else, and take off my own training wheels, I'm learning to conquer more fears and find more joy. The Lord really does direct this work, and knows exactly what he's doing.

I love my mission, my companion, my Savior, and you.
Love,
Hermana Ferrin

No comments:

Post a Comment